OTB Users meeting and hackfest 2017
This page is about organizing an Orfeo ToolBox users meeting and hackfest in 2017.
When: A 3 day meeting for OTB Users, 7th to 9th June 2017.
Where: The location is Harry Cow, in Toulouse, France.
How: Attendance is free of charge and welcome to everyone interested in OTB! But please register first.
Day 1: Plenary session
09:00 - 09:30 : Welcome
- Introduction to OTB User Days 2017 -- Manuel & Mickaël
09:30 - 12:30 : Talks
- "What's new in one year of OTB?" -- Victor Poughon
- "iota2: scaling-up land-cover mapping thanks to OTB" -- Arthur Vincent
- "Développement de chaines d'extraction d'informations à partir d'OTB" -- Jérôme Maxant
- "Utilisation de l'OTB à l'IRSN" -- METIVIER Jean Michel / MENDY Elvira
- "MAJA software introduction and feedback on the development of otb applications" -- Pierre Lassalle
- Group photo!
12:30 - 14:00 : Lunch break
14:00 - 17:00 : Talks
- "Large scale superpixel segmentation with OTB" -- Dawa DERKSEN
- "Benchmarking of image processing libraries for the Euclid ground segment" -- Peter Kettig
- "Open Earth Engine: Integration of OTB in an Interactive Platform for Large Scale Remote Sensing and Visualization" -- Baptiste MEYLHEUC
- "OTB for remote sensing of forest using SAR images" -- Marie Ballere
- "A dimensionality reduction framework for OTB" -- Cédric Traizet & Jordi Inglada
- "Plans for asynchronous writing in OTB" -- Julien Michel / CNES
- "OTB in QGIS: User feedback (TBC)" -- Mathieu Fauvel / ENSAT
17:00 - 19:00 : Ice breaker
Cocktail offered by our sponsor
Day 2: Technical session
09:30 - 12:00: Tutorials
Three groups are possible:
- Beginners (learn Monteverdi and OTB Applications)
- Intermediate 1 (sampling and classification)
- Intermediate 2 (internals)
- Advanced (develop an OTB application in C++)
12:00 - 14:00: Lunch break
14:00 - 17:00 Track 1: Continue tutorials (Lead: Victor)
Continue morning tutorials.
14:00 - 17:00 Track 2: Open questions & features requests & one-on-one tutoring (Lead: Manuel)
Come with your data and your use cases and we'll have a look. Give feedback and user requests for the future of OTB.
14:00 - 17:00 Track 3: Brainstorming (Lead: Julien)
We'll brainstorm technical topics, with the objective of writing a RFComments. Some ideas:
- Refactoring of ExtractROI (and Convert ?) app : what users want
- How to fix DownloadSRTMTiles and make it better
- How to improve OBIA in Orfeo ToolBox (see discussion on otb-users https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/otb-users/LJyqz62y68M)
- Deep learning in OTB : yes or no ? why, how, when ?
17:00 - 19:00 : Happy hours (open questions and discussion with the development team)
Cocktail offered by our sponsor.
Evening: social event
Move to a Toulouse restaurant. Please submit your proposal
Day 3: Hackfest
09:30 - 10:00: Key note talks
- C++11 for OTB? -- Luc Hermitte & Jordi Inglada
10:00 - 12:30: Hacking
12:30 - 14:00: Lunch break: Pizza party!
14:00 - 14:30: Open PSC meeting: Post-6.0 roadmap
14:30 - 17:00: Hacking
Ideas for 'Hacking' topics:
- Write RFComments for a new application that covers Convert, Extract ROI and Rescale use cases.
- Talk about SERTIT external module integration to OTB core (Fahd) https://scrum.orfeo-toolbox.org/jira/browse/OTB-1249
- DWT code for multitemp: http://tully.ups-tlse.fr/grizonnet/multitemp
- Brainstorm on custom input images types for applications (complex/double), and different representations of complex (multiband, amplitude/phase, complex pixels).
Here are a set of questions that can help you prepare your talk :
- In what context are you using OTB, what part of OTB and what for ?
- What other software do you use along with OTB ? Do they have to interact with each others ?
- What is working and what is not ?
- What performances do you get (time, quality) ?
- What is missing ?
- Did you achieve everything you planned to ?
Guidelines for participants
- Bring your laptop if possible, with a working installation of OTB (we will distribute a VM with everything as a last resort option),
- Be prepared: questions, feedback, requests, problems you can not solve, pieces of code that do not work as you wish ...
- Update the pad with your participation details (it helps us planning lunches and breaks)
Guidelines for all speakers
- Lets make the talks short. Each topic should be presented in 15 min. at most.
- The language for the event will most probably be French (if everybody speaks French in the room), however slides and materials should be in English if possible, to ease publication
- We will try to do some video recording for further publishing online. If you do not wish to be recorded, please let us know
- Cattering (coffee breaks, lunch, happy hours, social event) : Mickaël
- Power sockets, network, video recording / broadcasting (All)
- Digital camera and camera stand
- Organize a visit of the nearby Fablab (TBC) :
- Create materials for tutorials (re use formation material and the previous one):
- Dispatch Orfeo ToolBox dev team presentations:
- VM with everything installed or standalone packages
- Communicate :