Request for Comments-16: Improve compilation instructions in software guide
- 1 [Request for Comments - 16] Improve compilation instructions in software guide
- 1.1 Status
- 1.2 Content
- 1.3 Community
- 1.4 Corresponding Requests for Changes
[Request for Comments - 16] Improve compilation instructions in software guide
- Author: Victor Poughon
- Submitted on 29.10.2015
What changes will be made and why they would make a better Orfeo ToolBox?
The purpose of this RFC is to improve and restructure the software guide section about compiling from source (OTB, ICE and monteverdi). Currently the software guide follows this outline for section 2:
2. Installation 2.1 Installing binary packages 2.2 Building from sources 2.2.1 Preparing CMake 2.2.2 SuperBuild 2.2.3 Manual installation of OTB dependencies 18.104.22.168 Windows 22.214.171.124 Linux systems : getting a qualified Gdal library 2.2.4 Custom OTB 2.3 Known issues 2.4 Getting Started With OTB
The objectives of this RFC are:
- Clarify that Compiling from source is found in the Software Guide, while installing from binaries is found in the Cookbook.
- Separate windows and linux compilation instructions.
- Add explanation of OTB git branching model (at least a link to OTB&git wiki page) and instruction to checkout develop branch when git cloning.
- Clarify the differences between SuperBuild and normal build, and when to use which.
- Improve the normal (non SuperBuild) build documentation:
- Create a table summarizing all cmake options and what they do
- Provide compilation instructions for normal build
- Separate SuperBuild and normal build into two sections with SuperBuild first
- Add instructions for compiling ICE and Monteverdi
- Move "2.4 Getting started with OTB" to tutorials chapter
To do achieve this, I propose reorganizing section 2 as such:
2. Compiling OTB from source (binary install is covered in the cookbook, link to it) 2.1 Windows Link (or copy content) to wiki page written by Rashad add subsections relevant to windows: for example: Using visual studio, using mingw, using superbuild, etc. 2.2 Linux 2.2.1 Building OTB and all dependencies (aka SuperBuild) 2.2.2 Building only OTB (all dependencies must be available) 2.3 Mac OS X
And adding a new section after it:
3. Compiling ICE and Monteverdi from Source 3.1 Windows 3.2 Linux 3.3 Mac OS X
When will those changes be available (target release or date)?
To be determined. There are no API changes so I suggest as soon as it's ready.
Who will be developing the proposed changes?
- Remember to include Mac OS X
- SuperBuild uses CMake, subsections titles should refer to dependency handling (superbuild or manual dependencies).