Difference between revisions of "Request for Comments-16: Improve compilation instructions in software guide"
m (Poughv moved Request for Changes-XX-draft: Improve compilation instructions in software guide to Request for Comments-16: Improve compilation instructions in software guide)
Revision as of 10:31, 29 October 2015
- 1 [Request for Comments - XX] Improve compilation instructions in software guide
- 1.1 Status
- 1.2 Content
- 1.3 Community
- 1.4 Corresponding Requests for Changes
[Request for Comments - XX] Improve compilation instructions in software guide
- Author: Victor Poughon
- Submitted on 29.10.2015
- Open for comments
What changes will be made and why they would make a better Orfeo ToolBox?
The purpose of this RFC is to improve and restructure the software guide section about compiling from source (OTB, ICE and monteverdi). Currently the software guide follows this outline for section 2:
2. Installation 2.1 Installing binary packages 2.2 Building from sources 2.2.1 Preparing CMake 2.2.2 SuperBuild 2.2.3 Manual installation of OTB dependencies 22.214.171.124 Windows 126.96.36.199 Linux systems : getting a qualified Gdal library 2.2.4 Custom OTB 2.3 Known issues 2.4 Getting Started With OTB
The objectives of this RFC are:
- Clarify that Compiling from source is found in the Software Guide, while installing from binaries is found in the Cookbook.
- Separate windows and linux compilation instructions.
- Add explanation of OTB git branching model (at least a link to OTB&git wiki page) and instruction to checkout develop branch when git cloning.
- Clarify the differences between SuperBuild and normal build, and when to use which.
- Improve the normal (non SuperBuild) build documentation:
- Create a table summarizing all cmake options and what they do
- Provide compilation instructions for normal build
- Separate SuperBuild and normal build into two sections with SuperBuild first
- Add instructions for compiling ICE and Monteverdi
- Move "2.4 Getting started with OTB" to tutorials chapter
To do achieve this, I propose reorganizing section 2 as such:
2. Compiling OTB from source (binary install is covered in the cookbook, link to it) 2.1 On Windows Link (or copy content) to wiki page written by Rashad add subsections relevant to windows: for example: Using visual studio, using mingw, using superbuild, etc. 2.2 On Linux 2.2.1 With SuperBuild 2.2.2 With CMake
And adding a new section after it:
3. Compiling ICE and Monteverdi from Source 3.1 On Windows 3.2 On Linux
When will those changes be available (target release or date)?
To be determined. There are no API changes so I suggest as soon as it's ready.
Who will be developing the proposed changes?